Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Digging For Treasure.

A pirate at heart (as you might of figured out),
I am always on the hunt for treasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIkIPWybuWg
(Martyr - Rusted Root)

In southern Florida, I found myself crazed with a group of amateur archaeologists, along with university archaeological groups. We would go digging all hours of the day, rain or shine. Actually, the rain was a major benefit as it would bring any low lying finds to the surface. Mostly, one would find mass amounts of chert, the shavings in areas from actually making a specific tool. One always knew where to look for a good dig spot. If there were more than 3 different kinds of trees in an area. Once down and below, if you found charred wood pieces you know you were heading on the right track. The Native Americans generally used an area of different foliage for shade, especially, and other means such as food or medicines. Once you found a fire pit, you were guarantied to find other items (such as utensils, pottery, arrows, a lot of chert, etc.), as the location became the communal area of function. In all actuality, it was friend who taught me the most about sand based archeology in this terrain. Warm nights out in my little hole. I didn't get to go as often as I did out west. But when I did go, I always enjoyed the thrill of the hunt and the finding of treasure.

My very first piece, was my wits telling me to dig in a specific area. As it was my first time out, my friend was showing me the technique in the spot I had chosen. We actually uncovered it together, although he really found it, he says it was my spot and he was just the teacher. Therefore, he gave it to me. It nearly resembles a Covington blade with the point of a Folsom. But what do I know it could be a Dover?


This next find was actually found on what we called a "walking search" (where you walk the land like police searching for clues), after heavy days of raining. The rain brought this rare find of a dart point right up to my eyeballs and into my fingertips. I am guessing that it is grey-blue chert with a tan base, although the exact material is unknown because when it is wet it is glossy (possibly only from water polishing over time). Due to the wear and tear on this piece, I assume this was its last status before non-use. With the side notches, it's original purpose was probably that of a long arrowhead, a drill, or even a blade. Over time and usage, it was ground down to a bird point until it was no longer usable.

I know that generally the find is classified based on location, but I have a little problem in being an amateur... These points were found Gulf Coastal, and generally the Indians of this area used shell, bone, etc. - rather than chert and stone. Washed ashore and laid to rest over time or merely transient artifacts, I am uncertain. I am also unaware of the period that they come from and the specific peoples who made them. All I know is that archeology is fun and finding things is even better, and the known history that comes along with finding things is truly amazing.

No comments: