Saturday, October 11, 2008

Accomplished.

Over 2 years ago, I could not even walk.

1 year ago a goal was set to walk 8 km to see a second 7 wonder of the world. At this point, I would not have been able to do it.


2 years, 10 months have passed. I set out early this morning with my good friend, China. We donned our backpacks and gear for a good day's hike. The weather seems to be holding. It is not too cold, and most certainly not hot. I just hope it doesn't rain and no fog.

The place of destination is a subluxation plate that shifted in the Earth over 1 million years ago. Creating a colossal monumental array of massive fallen stones.


The way up is long and unsafe in certain areas. The marsh is wet and footing is a key thing, along with balance. Most certainly something I lacked over a year ago. Upon arrival, it is almost as if you enter into a surreal state. The area seems out of place with the rest of the normal surroundings. It is quiet, and possibly even eerie in its lacking of sounds. Now that I think of it, there were no birds or other fauna around. Yet the flora was superb, with a vast amount of berries for picking. Good thing we brought some containers to collect blueberries, cranberries, some other type I am not familiar with.


A river runs through it, and has created little ponds among the fallen creation. Fresh drinking water flowing down in between, full of minerals.


There is a book at the final location. A book you can write your name in. I couldn't help think of the books of Myst, the environment having that same quality. It was absolutely amazing. Definitely worth a year of painstaking rehabilitation. Definitely worth the long hike out. As a monumental achievement for myself, I wrote my name down on that weathered paper.


I sighed and looked around and then spoke to my friend, "To me this day serves a purpose of determination and achievement. A beginning of a new journey through this point in my life and forward". She in return stated,
"I am honored to share this accomplishment with you."

No comments: