Wednesday, September 1, 2010

What Defines Alone?

Today someone walked up to me and sat down fairly close. As they were making their directed deployment in the seat (as to leave a empty chair in between us), this gentleman says to me,

"I will sit here because you look alone."


The phrase caught me by surprise, and not caring about who or what had taken place I echoed the word "Alone" outloud. As it slowly formed against my voicebox and exited my lips, I then looked to the man sitting in the second chair to my left and replied,

"Alone is a sad word."


I think the person was just in awe about my remark as I was with his greeting and replied,

"Indeed it is."


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjyi0hW7pCo
(They Dance Alone - Sting)


Alone: Pronunciation - \ə-ˈlōn\, Function - adjective, adverb
Date:

13th century
1: separated from others
2: exclusive of anyone or anything else
3: considered without reference to any other

No comments: