Monday, July 28, 2008

Memoirs Of My Sweets...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU3KBI5qyEY
(Sweetness - Jimmy Eat World)

Jimmy Eat World or damn, what was the name of that group? I couldn't decide between the two cds. I stuck with Jimmy. Gosh, I can't believe I forget the name of that group. I had secretly wished for the cds to be reversed at a time... but then came to appreciate Jimmy Eat World alot more than the other.

A past time of friends, family, death, happiness, p
ossibly what one could describe as a love (if one knew what love was). Maybe a different kind of love, a love of appreciation. Oysters and cellos. Even your cat and I had conversations over the phone. I have been way out of touch. I miss our intellectual conversations, late hours, meeting in passing.

For your thoughts, excerpts from the real authentic paper journal over the years:

Friday morning New Jersey - meeting face to face. An overstayed breakfast. Departing, spent the rest of day with family. That night I drove to south Philly. Watched Oceans 11 at the theatre. Thereafter went to a dive for some conversation and a little food. 4 am. Brief apartment visit, sitting on the balcony. Sandals, I always wear sandals... it's freezing! I hate being deathly allergic to cats. I wouldn't be outside in the moment in a courtyarded apartment complex balcony... overlooking the surrounding sunlight. Day breaks. Then I was returned to my suv. Said goodbyes and I headed back to Jersey. Do you remember the shooting star from our lookout on the balcony? Morning rush hour on a Saturday. Bumper to bumper, I called you while traffic persisted to a dead halt. The sunrise over the Philly skyline from the bridge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9AG0ltjkA0
(For Nancy - Pete Yorn)

Two hours of sleep, up to an interview by 07:45, from there to Orlando. The call.... It was you of course, informing me that you were still stuck in Atlanta! Oooo goody, I have time to dilly dally. Downtown Disney here I come. I checked the movie times, listened to music in Virgin, window shopped the left side of Pleasure Island - all the while talking intermittently on the cell, keeping me company, keeping me posted. Bumped again and again... the flight. Now that the battery is dead the calls are timed. Tampa, maybe? Sure, I drove home.

After arriving home, Melbourne! Packed an overnight bag and caught an hour of sleep. Confirmed 20:00-21:00 in Melbourne. 21:45: "I'm on the plane!" I'm still driving towards Melbourne International. Arrival. Standing there looking as tired as I. I thought the anticipation of wait was more than enough, but you were here now, finally. We headed to the infamous beach, to wade in the East Coast's monster waves. I was so hoping to share my favorite marine life... the shinys. Trying to find a way to show you, I did not pay attention to the giant wave which crashed over my head and soaked me to the bone. No shinys. We laughed and pretty much said screw it.... one set of clothes, drenched, after midnight... time to enjoy. The undertow was a bit aggressive, so no swimming too far. Instead we directed our attention to the sky and pointed out known constellations. Talk of coastal dream houses with open bedrooms to the crash of majestic yet calming waves. Back to the suv, changed into dryer apparel... and your first glimpse of painted art. One thing about living here, an overnight bag always included a beach towel big enough to use as a sarong wrap just for these occasions. The luggage was in Orlando. A hotel was a great idea, but their system was down. And that clerk - what an asshole! I'm good to drive home, the ocean refreshes you know, you on the other hand slept. On arrival home Sir B. B. didn't like the luggage, but a treat changed his attitude. Bull was fascinated with your beard, hehe. Sign posted, "Got home at 05:30 am! Don't wake!". Falling asleep.


I heard the next song on the radio today, and a splash of random memories came to stare me in the mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRtYNPRXkYU
(How Soon Is Now - The Smiths)


I will always feel the same way I did then, even when I think of those past times, even when I hear your voice. I shouldn't of let it go so long... I should have made contact sooner. I regret not calling often. We have only spoken once since I left, plus a couple instances of phone tag.


Alaskan snow crabs. The Endorphin Rush Challenge. Pub hopping. Debs and the Zen Garden! The fountain where they practice Tai Chi. Encountering Rocky the flying squirrel. Two deaths - a cousin, a grandmother. In a way we celebrated the life of the death. Cheers. Those who have lost wrote a song and sang it for everyone. Tears. Followed by good laughs. Sunrise.

The beach bar and ocean horizon. Flavored coffees. Sunset. It was cold out on the water, so we retreated to the warmth. The Mothman Prophecies. It seems we spend all day and night talking.

A couple more hours to spare in this beautiful state. The floating dock at the pier. The graveyard. I love the boxers. Waiting for transport. Midnight, finally on the road. You sleep while driving, you weren't kidding. I drove straight though. It was taking it's toll on me 14 hours - no stops, just a few more hours. Check in. Sleep well. REM. The dream woke me, I sat straight up in bed. I do not dare to discuss the afterglow. The viewing. The stars here are vast and bright, and greatly abundant.

The service. The river. The battlefield. The Rabbi. Hahaha, oh how that still makes me laugh. They still talk about you, you know. You were deemed intelligent. On the road again... to your neck of the woods. Before sunset vehicle problems arose. The teepee on the mountain. Your revelation. The relationship. Snow? 10 years, I hadn't seen snow. It was exhilarating! I felt like I was a little kid again. That peg game. Early morning of the next day.


Maybe I will call today.... or next week. What makes us loose touch? Embarrassed. Possibly somewhere deep down I am ashamed I didn't keep the connection of just fiber cables. I wonder if its the feeling of being lost, or of fear of loosing something you once had and wonder if it will be the same. Fear of people you care for changing. Even if telephone conversations from a far.


Nasty cold and sleet. We are really low on gas. Every exit is closed due to construction. No shoulders to pull off onto, construction left its mark in a one way barricaded highway. Creeping slowly to a 15 mph drag. Panic attack is an understatement, what happens if a semi-truck comes barreling through in this bad weather and we are blocking the way with no gas. Whoever the idiots were at the DOT should of been shot! Exit 3, coasted right off the up ramp where there was a shoulder. Thank god. No signs, no sign of a station. But there were lights. Bundled up completely, all but my feet - still wearing sandals. Your jacket, what was it Russian? A gas station in the cruddy weather awaited at the top of nearly a mile hike. It was cold. The lady at the station gave us free cappuccinos before we had to walk back. The gas can has a leak! Filled up, getting warm, and back on the road again. This part of the drive you were awake and there was conversation! I was destination sleep dubbed. You showed me your home sites, through my toothpicked eyes. 06:00. Ah, a heated waterbed to meet drifting and falling.

Homemade stew. The arcade/bowling alley. Apple chimichangas. Tina & John's. Family. Retreated once again to talking until 05:00. We do have a way with times, hehe. I think we are all secretly vampires, mwuaoohaha.

The V-4 Rocket.The delicately designed cigarette holder with the dragonfly. I still have this and use it as a wallet. It is cherished. And of course the gaming stuff. An excellent movie, Brotherhood of the Wolf. Story numbers. #53. I was not let down with the fork story of course. And what trip wouldn't be complete without the use of the Waffle House. A group of friends, religion and philosophy. Tomorrow you were getting a trim. Ok, ok... the sun is rising.

Story #142 and 5 questions answered correctly. Your filmed while trimming - Momentous. The club playing the song above... How soon is Now. Kind of dancing. The waffle house proves a dive as a hang out in a small town. All those who joined us. 04:00.

Dinner at a mighty fine restaurant. The airport shop - oh my! White chocolate, orange peels, cappuccino... heaven. What a treat. Goodbyes turn into chatting about "Csaba" until way late, as expected.

Glasses. Ahah! The name of the other group - The Strokes, the cd you kept. 01:00 - on the road again. The scenic route, eh? Did you see that? The white wolf. Too tired to continue... must sleep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tuvX_X7Rlw
(Last Nite - The Strokes)

The world's fastest checkout - oversleeping. Driving. Good Tunes, Good Conversation, Good Times. Goodbyes on the rooftop with sunset and fireworks even! Thanks for everything, truly.

A random visitation at The Zen Garden and Debs. A good night. You met my best friend Tink. I played the bongos. I was dating someone then (what a loser, btw). I thought I was on top of the world and had things figured out. But I realized then what I know now... you will always be.

A part of me, my twin, my friend.

You treated me to my first Philly Cheese Steak. OMG, cheez whiz! I had booked my last flight to the north before I even knew I was leaving for overseas. In a diner chatting... I had forgotten how your eyes were so stunning. So very blue, behind the glasses. You were. I was finally on my two feet. I was finally me. I was. You drove me to my destination.

Telephone conversations lingered at night. You offered up Serenity on the wings of a Firefly.

You sang a song to me
on the tele before I left... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ_9xLl97_Q
(Leaving On A Jet Plane)

This word has us stumped, but one day we shall remember, "FLOWER".


These instances seem a lifetime. I don't know why it is so important to write them. I still like the Smiths. I still have Jimmy Eat World. Every time I hear Leaving On a Jet Plane I think of you. And I still see you at times.

The Dan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRYpd3_roHg
(Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want - The Smiths)

No comments: