Saturday, July 5, 2008

Swiss Cheez.

I arrived in Lucerne. Or should I say the conductor trying to get the pillows and sheets at 08:00 woke me and started my day off just peachy.

Cappuccino and ice cream. What would I do without ice cream? So many flavors, so many countries. I was pretty tipsy by the end of the night with the tasting of Swiss and Deutsch beers. So early to bed.

Had to catch the train. Up Titlus by one lift, then another - 3 in total. The third was absolutely neat as it rotated. The ice caves! Wow! My girlfriend and I had so much fun running around the ice caves. Then on returning to the outside world, we decided to body surf the snow. We laughed and laughed. I was full of snow. Some places I have no idea how it managed to get in there! The train back down was to leave at 14:25... or was that 14:45? Walking and running... We are late!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnVuiGj3G34

On the way down the rotating lift stereo system played The Eagles. This timeless classic was appropriate as everything seemed to be in slow motion since we were in a rush not to miss the departing train. While waiting, I dumped out the remains of snow from hidden places. Lift to lift... Ground. Running, where was the train station? Shit! Military training kicks in, find the tracks. No problem, set new course running along the railway. 14:57 - Train station. Missed the train back to Lucerne. Now we will have to buy our tickets again, argh! Next train 15:25, plenty of time to find somewhere to get some grub. Back at the train station, we had thought we missed the train our tickets were good for... but that wasn't the case. Fortunately we were there on time and didn't have to dish out extra funds. Darnit! All that running around for nothing, when we could of enjoyed our stay with the snow.


One thing I learned from my worldwide travels, if someone comes up to you and asks in broken English, "Do you walk?" For heaven sakes answer NO! Clueless, young, single female... I looked at these guys with an expression of duh..... Of course I walk... I'm walking down the promenade enjoying my coffee and shopping. I guess the general concept of the question was street prostitution... Hmmm, I wished I had known that before!

A late night rendezvous above the town... Invitation by the ones Alain, Manuel, and Christian. My friend and I crossed the bridge, where a boardwalk of night life awaited on the other side. Every parapet of the bridge was a handcrafted inscription full of detail as a story unraveled in the passing wood (I was fortunate to have traveled when I did. To see this masterful piece of art in its original status. Shortly after my stay, the bridge burned.) The lookout point... what a view of the city below at night. The village of Lucerne a lit in a dusky haze of blaze. We had previously eaten ice cream there earlier in the day, on the rocks serving as a balcony. We said our goodbyes, with the appropriate cheek to cheek kissing frenzy Europeans do. Thanking them for a lovely evening with their invite to see a great sight.


I did of course leave Switzerland with a Swatch, hehe. To come all this way and not have the classic souvenir would be a pity.

(Written Years Ago)

No comments: