Monday, August 4, 2008

Photographing Fairies.

I used to be an avid picture taker. My camera loomed around my neck or tucked away in my purse... accompanying me anywhere and everywhere. Hoping to capture every special moment, even if a droplet of water should perch so perfectly on a leaf. Years and years, money, and photos upon photos. I even took a photography class in college. I never did any developing of my own once done with the class, it was more expensive and time consuming than I had originally thought. The art of photography, another's passion maybe - but not mine. Years ago, I actually ran into another who was in the same state as I, nearly never without camera in hand. I studied their misuse of the capturing option and realized that I was completely missing the point. Who do I have to share the photographs of the years with and how often do I even look at them myself? And now with the digital age, all those pictures on pc - thousands upon thousands for one sitting, when have I ever really looked at them? Maybe once to recapture what I had already been through. These pictures just take up space and are left for maybe just a possibility of a younger generation to happen across. But it doesn't quite mean the same for the future as it did for the past. So just why have I been waisting so much time behind a mechanically focusing eye? The last 4 years I have traveled light and my neck seems less weary from wear... no camera. No missing the whole picture. Life is what you see and all the information you gather from it. Through a lens not your own, you are missing all the detail and beauty. Once you open your own eyes, it is hard to fathom life with a camera. What I see are the memories that will go on with me... I don't think actual physical photos get the chance to go where I will go. A snap shot only hides the detail, the lighting, the color, the essence.

No comments: