Monday, August 11, 2008

Germans Alike!

In my native land, I had the opportunity to spend time over a couple years with a very interesting individual. He was a German carpenter, who appreciated good wine and chocolate. He was probably close to the age of my grandfather, but had spirit and optimism that could only come from years of learned wisdom. It was always a pleasure to venture over to his woodwork shop for an after work break. His handcraft was superb and I had always wished to have something created by him. In a sense, I do have something created by him. Memories of kindness and wisdom shared. I never received anything a person could hold or touch, but what I hold dear is something immaterial. At the end of each visit, he would present me with a chocolate covered cherry surrounded in liquor, a Mon Cheri. He would wish me well and await my return until next time. I visited him before my ventures offshore of my native land began. He was no doubt proud of me, as a father might be. He wish me best of fortune on my new journeys and told me to visit if I was in town. Hugs and Mon Cheris.

If I ever thought it could be possible... in a fishing village off the coast of Norway, I would meet an older German fisherman who resembled that of my friend from home. They looked alike and had the same demeanor and pleasantry, that I truly was in awe of the entire situation. I should of been so bold to ask if he had family abroad, but I was too wrapped up in a moment of the present and the past to get my mouth in motion. I stayed in this village for the duration of a long weekend. The German fisherman was there the entire time. His friends and my crew had a great time, with good food and drinks every evening. We in turn spent the days in the water, and they spent their days on the water. This fisherman asked towards the end of everyone's stay, if someone would be so kind to bring him back treasures of the sea. I in turn, with fond memories of the German carpenter, set out on a mission for the German fisherman. It was the last day and I had filled my purse with treasures from the sea. I didn't take too many items, because I do not wish to destroy my home. But enough for a German to be content. The last evening was around good wine and a chef who prepared the most wonderful palates with fish and sea urchins provided from the sea. With our goodbyes as we turned in to bed for the last night, the German fisherman gave me a Giandor bar, chocolate with almond creme filling. I didn't know what to say, and knew then surely the fisherman was indeed related to the carpenter! I thanked him profusely for the chocolate and laughed warmly to myself. Tasty morsels of memories.

(May 2006)

No comments: