Thursday, August 7, 2008

Speaking Of Names...


This entry was months ago when I left port:

I have my very own pirate ship! As most of my close mates know, I grew up on board a Cutty ship named the Seagull. The way I came into living this way is a whole other chapter. The Cutty was named such after her performance in the water, as if in flight of a commonly known pest at the beaches. But truly, have you ever watched a seagull? They are very graceful in the skies and display freedom in their flight. Boating is like freedom. No roads to keep inside the lines. No boundaries of borders. No checks on identity. Freedom in the only form I know next to diving and swimming in the clear blue. It's nice to think mermaids have this kind of freedom.

I found out were she was lying. Off the shores of Tortuga, a little mariners cover away from that of the normal settlements. I rounded the mountain bend and saw her swaying there in the pure blue. About 5 minutes further I came upon the docks. I didn't know what to expect. I, as a Captain again, needed to have a wooden seaworthy ship and in good condition. I walked slowly down the dock, taking in the sea air and glancing at the ship that awaited me. Soaking in every detail, I reached her bow. She smiles! Her mood immediately changed along with the energy off of her, I couldn't help but notice this ship smiling back at me! I knew, not even boarding her, she was to be mine and promised to be seaworthy. Spacious inside, all necessary amenities, several windows to let in natural light, wood was in good shape, cockpit for driving, aft wheel for outside navigating. I was truly in heaven as the connection was growing stronger between me and my ship. Sold. My Pirate Ship.

My very own pirate ship has never been named. She is older than I and never has been christened (well that I don't know for sure) or dubbed??? So many things that might be fitting for a given name. I hate to take her out without a name, but I have no choice, the sea awaits.

No comments: