Sunday, August 3, 2008

Traveling Decisions.

When younger I spent many days off the shores of Mexico.

Paper flowers in plethoras of color. Mariachis. Streets of authentic Mexican blankets in all shapes and sizes, sarapes... even ponchos. If you had a vehicle for transportation, kids would come off the streets and try to wash your windows with dirty water and then hold their hands out for payment for the good work they had done. Wooden crates holding cardboard boxes on shop corners usually held a variety of chocolate covered bugs... alive. Bartering with merchants for their wares. Beautiful beaches and good food.

An attempt at thinking I knew how to speak and understand Spanish, I ordered caldo de pesco at a fancy restaurant that was on a rock edge outlook. What I got for the meal was not my familiar caldo (soup broth). The waiter in the joy of seeing that I probably had no idea what I ordered, gleefully sat the dish before me. I was horrified as this bowl of soup had tentacles hanging over the edges in a display of suction cups broiled along with god knows what else.... pesco meaning fish. Gack! But I try everything at least once... and as not to offend the restaurant or the cook at the presentation, I simply tasted it once and ate around the rest.

The legend of Montezuma's Revenge lead me further north into the depths of the Western United States in search of Montezuma's Castle via old roads of the trading posts (but that is a whole other adventure).

But in all my travels while in Mexico, I never visited the Mayan ruins. I think I will plan my next great escape in the direction of the lost cities. Maybe glimpse Piramides de Teotihuacan or Chichen Itza, amongst other amazing feats while I relive fond childhood memories.

No comments: